...the total bill by autumn is likely to be £400m-£1bn.
... the cost to the UK taxpayer of bombing Gaddafi for six months is
- four times the cut to the arts budget;
- three times the sum saved by Ken Clark's controversial sentencing reforms;
- more than the proposed cuts to the legal aid budget;
- about the same as the savings from ending the education maintenance allowance (EMA);
- or three times the amount saved by scrapping the disability living allowance.
Anyone who has the temerity to ask how much Britain's Libya campaign is costing is reassured that it is all being paid for from Treasury reserves, so we needn't worry our pretty little heads. But anyone who has lost their EMA or disability living allowance could quite justifiably wonder why cash can be found for bombs but not for them.